Friday, February 16, 2007

Work Stuff

There's been quite a lot of stuff going on at work recently - some good, some bad.

Good: The bonus plan paid out the full amount on the last payday. More money is almost always a good thing (although, they say it's the root of all evil)

Bad: A unsubstantiated and untrue accusation that I bullied and/or intimidated a partner into a direction that they didn't necessarily agree with. If you know me, then you likely laughed at that last statement since I'm not really a bully or that intimidating (unless you're sitting across the chess board from me, that is).

Bad: Constantly switching priorities and messages from the executives make it seem like we are in a constant panic mode and always reacting to crises rather than proactively following a sound strategy.

Good: As a result of the latest priority shift I'll be working on some cool stuff for the next 6 weeks or so. Hopefully practicing and reinforcing some good skills and habits in myself and helping out some others. I'll be working predominately in C, which I enjoy a little more than Java - probably because it takes more discipline to write good, understandable C code.

2 comments:

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Money as the root of all evil... I've always been under the impression that the original quotation was "The pursuit of money is the root of all evil" but in looking it up just now, it appears it's actually "The lack of money is the root of all evil" (George Bernard Shaw). Or possibly it was Mark Twain (why can't the Internet agree?) but in both cases it's the lack, not the money itself. So nothing to worry about when you get more of it!! In fact, I'd suggest that you "grab that cash with both hands and make a stash!"

cjguerra said...

Bonus: Bonus!

Bully: Bull(fill in the rest)!

Priority Twitch: Bad!

C Code: I know that should sound familiar, and I am very jealous, but I can't exactly discover why....

I really need to code in my spare time. I've been dealt sparing spare time, so it's either blog or code and blog is winning...

Glad to here you get paid to code in C. Again. Still. It's all good.