Saturday, November 18, 2006

Lucifer Sam


I love cats. My cat is 16 years old, is deaf, and has thyroid and kidney problems.

Because she is deaf, she meows at loud volumes and incessantly because you can’t hear you talking to her.

She’s had thyroid problems for a couple of years, and because she won’t take the pills for the condition I’ve been giving her half a medicated chicken-flavoured chew twice a day for 2 years. The chews cost about $70 for a months supply. If I forget to give her a chew, her typical response is to vomit bile on some carpet two or three times in the night….so I try not to forget.

Because of the thyroid medication she’s developed a kidney problem which has worsened dramatically over the past couple of months. She’s to the point now, where sometimes she can’t make it to the litter box and has peed in various places in the house – the mat in the entrance way, my daughter’s playroom, and such. When this happens it sucks! Even with scrubbing and the cleaner we use it takes a while for that smell to dissipate.

It’s to the point now where we’re restricting her to non-carpetted areas – luckily that’s the majority of the house.

2 comments:

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

I know some people who'd be considering donating their own kidney in a situation like that. Hopefully you're not wrestling with that option in this case...

You should post a picture of the kitty. Pets don't last forever, but your memory of them can (forever here being a relative term, of course).

Jimmy said...

Yeah, you're right - I should post a picture...I think I have one around here somewhere...